South Korea visa for tourism & business

To travel to South Korea, you will need a visa, except you are a citizen of a visa-exempted country.

There are citizens of countries that do not require a visa to visit South Korea. These same citizens will be eligible for a South Korean  electronic visa when it is implemented in the year 2021.

A valid passport is required to obtain a South Korean visa. To apply for the regular visa, you’ll need to visit the South Korean embassy in your country. When in South Korea, you can experience the rich culture.

There are different types of South Korean visa for different duration of time.

1. Short trip

To travel to South Korea, a visa is required. Although, European nationals will only need a simple passport valid for another six months, as well as return air tickets.

The maximum length of stay in South Korea varies between thirty and ninety days depending on your nationality. The electronic visa for South Korea when fully implemented in 2021, will replace the short-stay visa.

2. Long stay

For any trip to South Korea, longer than three months, a visa and a valid passport are required. The visa application is made at the South Korean embassy or consulate in your home country.

There are, however, several types of visas, namely the Working Holiday Program (PVT), the work visa, and the two types of study visas (D-2 and D-4).

There is no long-term tourist visa. If you do not wish to work, the procedures are the same as for short stays.

Student visa D-2

If you want to study in South Korea, the visa is therefore imperative. For any request, a processing period ranging from one to three months is required.

The D-2 visa is required for further study at a Korean university. It is also essential to renew your student visa, once in South Korea, within thirty days before its expiry date.

For any request for a study visa, you must provide the South Korean embassy in your home country with:

  • A valid passport
  • The request form
  • An original of the Korean university admission certificate
  • 1 copy of the school certificate (or student card) or copy of the last diploma
  • 1 photocopy of the residence permit (for foreigners)
  • € 54 in cash or check
  • A standard photo
  • Proof of sufficient funds for the duration of the stay: formal certificate from your parents, copy of your scholarship certificate, etc.

For those who plan to work during the student trip, this is possible. After studying for 6 months at a Korean university, you can do so with the D-2 visa. You will also need a recommendation from your professors and still be enrolled in university.

Regarding timetables, you must work 20 hours per week during the semester and full time during the holidays to be legal.

Student visa D-4

This specific visa is intended for students traveling to South Korea only to learn the language of the country at a linguistic or Korean university. The documents to be provided are:

  • Two photocopies of the passport
  • Two photocopies of the application form
  • Two passport photos
  • Your certificate of admission or registration accompanied by a copy in English
  • Your study program accompanied by a copy in English
  • 2 CV in English
  • A financial certificate
  • € 54 in cash or check

3. Work visa

Internships do not exist in South Korea. However, South Korean companies can offer training during your student trip to South Korea.

After finding it, the requests are similar to those for D-2 visas. For corporate training, visa durations rarely exceed three months.

4. The Working Holiday Program (PVT)

More commonly called the Working Holiday Visa (WHV), it is specific to people aged 18 to 30 and wishes to benefit from professional experience in South Korea for one year.

It is the simplest solution to adopt for your trip to South Korea because it is valid for training and work in the business.

The request is made to the South Korean embassy in your home country and you will have the possibility of entering and leaving the country as many times as you wish throughout your trip.

Here are the documents you will need to provide:

  • A valid passport
  • An identity photo
  • Your return flight tickets
  • Evidence of funds of around 2,500 euros to support yourself during your stay
  • A medical certificate
  • An extract from your empty criminal record
  • A cover letter
  • Highest educational certificate or diploma
  • Note that it is not possible to extend your stay with this type of visa.

If you what to know more about the South Korean regular visa, there is a Frequently asked questionssection on this website.